Generations of Muller Farms
Harmon Muller (born 1/19/1845) migrated from Hanover Germany on his own at a young age to Page County, IA in the spring of 1866. He settled here because the rolling hills of southwest Iowa reminded him of his home in Germany. He thought America would bring him a more prosperous life. He told stories of crossing the Atlantic Ocean in a sail boat saying the boat went further backwards than forwards and people nearly ran out of food and water. He worked as a hired hand until he had saved enough money to purchase 70 acres of farm land for $8/acre in 1870. He married Anna. They had 3 children. Harmon died in 1914.
John Henry Muller (6/1/1873 - 2/22/1937) the oldest son of Harmon and Anna, married Helene Huseman in 1899. They had 4 boys; Walter, Herbert, Francis, and Arthur. After Helene died in 1912, Henry remarried Emma List in 1916. They had 3 girls; Martha and Dorothy (twins) and Ada. Henry was the president of the Yorktown Savings Bank and helped secure the bank during the 1930’s by providing financial backing to those with loans on their farmland. Henry died of a bleeding ulcer at home because the snow was so deep they could not get him to a hospital. At the time of his death, Henry owned enough farmland to give each of his 7 children at least one farm.
Walter Muller (9/12/1900 – 3/10/1981) the oldest son of Henry, married Elsie Meyer in 1935. They had 3 children; Lloyd, Delores, and Carol. Walter was a charter member and director of Atchison-Holt Electric which brought electricity to the area. He also served as a director for the Page County Savings and Loan. He fed cattle with his father and as well as his son his entire life. During WWII, Walter would drive into the town of Clarinda to pick of German Prisoners of War from a POW camp. They would be released to work on the farm. The POWs enjoyed working for Walter because he was able to speak with them in German.
Lloyd Muller (1/30/1936 – 10/31/2010) the oldest son of Walter and Elsie, married Venita Ficken in 1963. They were blessed with four children; Melanie, Greg, Heidi, and Andrea. Lloyd was a charter member of Professional Farmers of America. Lloyd, along with his father, increased the acreage of the farm by adding row crop ground. The two of them were always strong believers in utilizing terraces and waterways to prevent soil erosion and improve water quality. Along with his son, he expanded the feedlot and began custom feeding cattle as well as feeding cattle for themselves. Lloyd remained active in the physical work of the farm until Parkison’s Disease prevented him from doing so. Up until his death, he remained an active voice for the corporation.
Greg Muller, the current owner and operator, was married in 1985. They were blessed with 2 children; Jessica and Jacob. Greg married Bonnie Lisle in 2003, adding two more children to the family, Ben and Molly Lederer. Greg began feeding Wagyu cattle for Imperial Wagyu in 2007. The feedlot is BQA and NHTC certified. He has continued to expand and modernize the business. Greg utilizes modern equipment, computerized record keeping and other technology to maintain an efficient and profitable business.